What is Early Intervention?
Early Intervention is a Federally mandated program (IDEA Part- C) program that provides services to infant and toddlers, between birth and age 3, who have or are at risk for developmental disabilities (e.g. autism, Down syndrome, prematurity). Services are aimed at intervening early, when human development is most rapid, thus giving each child the best possible start in their overall development. Because families have the greatest impact on their child’s development, services also focus on giving families’ information and teaching them new skills. Therapies may include occupational therapy (including sensory integration therapy), physical therapy, speech therapy, early childhood special education, and behavioral intervention (such as ABA).
Chesapeake Children’s Therapy Center is one of Virginia's largest providers of Early Intervention Services. Our VA early intervention certified therapists provide speech therapy, physical therapy, occupational therapy, and early childhood special education. Look with families are saying about the services we provide in family testimonials
Ask for Chesapeake Children’s Therapy Center’s therapists to be your family’s provider!!!
Chesapeake is under contract with your child's Infant Toddler program to provide your child's therapy services as specified by your Individualized Family Services Plan (IFSP).
Early Intervention Programs we work with at Chesapeake Children's Therapy Center:
- The Infant and Toddler Connection of Fairfax and Falls Church
- The Infant and Toddler Connection of Arlington
- Alexandria Parent Infant Education Program
- Prince William County
What to Expect from an Early Intervention Visit
Our focus is on providing appropriate levels of quality therapy services to all children to help parents assist their children in accomplishing all that they can. Our therapists are experienced in developing fun, appropriate, and helpful activities for carryover by family members to maximize each child's potential.
10 Tips to Maximize Early Intervention Services
Your therapist's job is to teach your family how to change some of your daily activities to enhance your child's development to maximize her and your efforts.
- Be present for the entire session - We are here to help you learn ways to affect your child's development
- Actively interact with your child during the session
- Ask questions!!!
- Make sure that you fully understand the home program
- Do the home program daily
- Be prepared to tell your therapist about your child's week
- Share activities with family members and encourage them to help
- Plan to have your early intervention sessions in locations in your home or community that your child frequents daily
- Make every effort to keep each scheduled appointment. Please contact your therapist as soon as you know you must change the schedule. No shows or frequently missed appointments may be referred to the program for possible re-assignment.
- Have fun with your child!!!!!
Referrals to early intervention can be made by the family, physician, or government agency.
Infant and Toddler Connection of Virginia is the State of Virginia's early intervention system. For more information, please visit: www.infantva.org
Want services to begin a soon as possible? Go to How to get help and our intake department will schedule appointments for your child while you wait for placement in your local program.
Infant and Toddler Connection of Fairfax/Falls Church
3750 Old Lee Highway
Fairfax, VA 22030
Arlington Parent and Infant Program
3033 Wilson Boulevard, Suite 600B
Arlington, VA 22201
Alexandria Parent and Infant Program
4480 King Street, 5th Floor
Alexandria, VA 22302